asadverbuk strong /æz/ weak /əz/ us /æz/ /əz/
asprepositionuk strong /æz/ /əz/ us /æz/ /əz/
asconjunctionuk strong /æz/ /əz/ us /æz/ /əz/
as conjunction (BECAUSE)
- I'd frayed the edges of my jeans as that was the fashion in those days.
- I asked the teacher if I could be excused from football practice as my knee still hurt.
- The ceasefire treaty was meaningless, as neither side ever had any intention of keeping to it.
- Improved safety measures in cars can be counterproductive as they encourage people to drive faster.
- This man is desperate and should not be approached as he may have a gun.
as conjunction (WHILE)
as conjunction (LIKE)
- The town centre looks exactly as it did when it was built in 1877.
- She told me not to ask any questions, just to do as she did.
- Sound and pictures can be stored digitally, as on a CD.
- My grandmother died a natural death , as she would have wanted.
- They face a hard task, as yesterday's discussions amply demonstrated.
as conjunction (ALTHOUGH)