assassinationnoun [ C or U ]uk /əˌsæs.ɪˈneɪ.ʃən/ us /əˌsæs.əˈneɪ.ʃən/
an assassination attempt
- The assassination could do serious damage to the fragile peace agreement that was signed last month.
- The assassination of the Archduke Ferdinand started off the first World War.
- President Kennedy's assassination had far-reaching repercussions.
- The assassination was reported in all the newspapers.
- The book describes the train of events that led up to the assassination.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words