attemptverb [T]uk /əˈtempt/ us /əˈtempt/
- Study the examples first of all, then attempt the exercises on the next page.
- "It would be stupid to attempt the journey in the dark." "Precisely, " he answered.
- The pilot attempted a crash-landing on the beach.
- The two explorers attempted an unaided walk across the South Pole.
- Make sure the rope is firmly attached before attempting to climb down it.
attemptnoun [C]uk /əˈtempt/ us /əˈtempt/
- The government has launched a new road safety campaign in an attempt to reduce the number of road accidents.
- My second attempt at making flaky pastry was a bit more successful.
- They had to abandon their attempt to climb the mountain.
- They have begun to vaccinate children in an attempt to check the spread of the disease.
- The doctors made one last desperate attempt to save the boy's life.