attentionnoun [ U ]uk /əˈten.ʃən/ us /əˈten.ʃən/
attention noun [ U ] (NOTICE)
They're organizing a campaign to draw people's attention to the environmentally harmful effects of using their cars.
Wait a moment and I'll give you my full/undivided attention (= I'll listen to and think about only you).
get/attract/catch sb's attention
pay attention (to sth/sb)
the centre of attention
turn your attention(s) to sth/sb
- The war has diverted attention away from the country's economic problems.
- Please excuse me from the rest of the meeting - I've just received a phone call that requires my immediate attention.
- He neglects that poor dog - he never takes him for walks or gives him any attention.
- I prodded her in the back to get her attention.
- Pay attention to what she's saying because she won't explain it a second time.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
- attention span
- be good, and if you can't be good, be careful idiom
- be on (your) guard idiom
- handle/treat sb with kid gloves idiom
- hang on/upon sth
- have a care idiom
- have/keep your ear to the ground idiom
- take note of sth idiom
- the/a glare of sth idiom
- tread carefully/gently/lightly idiom
- walk on eggs/eggshells idiom
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics: