audiencenoun [ C ]uk /ˈɔː.di.əns/ us /ˈɑː.di.əns/
audience noun [ C ] (GROUP OF PEOPLE)
- The audience clapped and cheered when she stood up to speak.
- She announced the winner of the competition to an excited audience.
- She is a confident and practised speaker who always impresses her audience.
- The candidates engaged in a lively debate, witnessed by a huge television audience.
- The play shocked audiences when it was first performed.
audience noun [ C ] (FORMAL MEETING)
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words