avoidverb [ T ]uk /əˈvɔɪd/ us /əˈvɔɪd/
B1 to stay away from someone or something:
- If we set off early tomorrow morning we'll avoid most of the traffic.
- The bus driver swerved to avoid hitting the cyclists.
- We need to examine how an accident like this can be avoided in the future.
- Try to avoid foods which contain a lot of fat.
- He took a different route which avoids the city centre.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics: