awardverb [ T ]uk /əˈwɔːd/ us /əˈwɔːrd/
- The report criticized boardroom fat cats who award themselves huge pay increases.
- The referee awarded a penalty kick.
- His parents saw him awarded the winner's medal.
- She was awarded a medal for showing supreme courage/bravery.
- The court awarded her an unspecified amount of money.
awardnoun [ C ]uk /əˈwɔːd/ us /əˈwɔːrd/
the Academy Award for Best Director
- Who did the award for Best Actress go to?
- She was in London to accept an award for her latest novel.
- The film won an award for its photography.
- They won the award for the most promising new band of the year.
- She felt a great sense of pride as she watched him accept the award.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words