awful adjective (BAD)
We had awful weather.
She has an awful boss.
What an awful thing to say!
The food was awful.
- If the party is awful, we can always leave .
- The hotel was awful! To begin with, our room was far too small.
- The awful spectre of civil war looms over the country.
- It's a good job they didn't go camping last weekend - the weather was awful.
- They live downwind of a pig-farm and sometimes the smell is awful.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics:
awful adjective (VERY GREAT)
It was an awful risk to take.
- There's an awful lot of smut on television these days.
- There's an awful lot of work to be done.
- It's an awful bore cooking a meal every night.
- It takes an awful long time to travel across the city on public transport.
- I'm feeling an awful lot better, thanks.