backgroundnounuk /ˈbæk.ɡraʊnd/ us /ˈbæk.ɡraʊnd/
background noun (PICTURE)
background noun (SOUND)
background noun (SITUATION)
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics:
background noun (FAMILY EXPERIENCE)
- His family background predisposes him to support the Democrats.
- Journalists were frantically researching the new prime minister's background, family, and interests.
- Since they discovered the truth about his background, his colleagues have regarded him with suspicion.
- She comes from an upper middle class background.
- When the authorities inquired into his background, they found he had a criminal record.
backgroundadjective [before noun]uk /ˈbæk.ɡraʊnd/ us /ˈbæk.ɡraʊnd/
- batten down the hatches idiom
- break sb in
- gird yourself idiom
- lay the basis/foundations for sth idiom
- set the scene/stage idiom
- suit up
- work (yourself) up to sth
- work your way around to sth idiom