bacteriologynoun [ U ]uk /bækˌtɪə.riˈɒl.ə.dʒi/ us /bækˌtɪr.iˈɑː.lə.dʒi/
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics:
adjective uk /bækˌtɪə.ri.əˈlɒdʒ.ɪ.kəl/ us /bækˌtɪr.i.əˈlɑː.dʒɪ.kəl/
noun [ C ] uk /bækˌtɪə.riˈɒl.ə.dʒɪst/ us /bækˌtɪr.iˈɑː.lə.dʒɪst/
Examples from literature
- A young doctor wished to specialize in bacteriology.
- Advances made in our knowledge of how diseases are spread and controlled, particularly through recent studies in bacteriology and immunity, have made it possible to keep communicable diseases in absolute subjection.
- I became a physician, but I had scientific interests outside of my profession, and I devoted myself to bacteriology.
- It is very evident, therefore, that bacteriology is a branch of botany, and that nature shows the same tendencies in these minute plants as it does in the larger vegetable world visible to our unaided eyes.
- Upon those two memorable researches made by a country doctor rests the modern science of bacteriology.