the Balkansnoun [ plural ]uk /ˈbɔːl.kənz/ us /ˈbɔːl.kənz/
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
Examples from literature
- But in the Balkans these problems will be more complicated because of conflicting interests, and most complicated of all will they be in Turkey.
- Consider what is taking place now in the Balkans, what blood is being shed.
- It is well said that Greek influence in the Balkans extends no further inland than that of the sea breezes.
- Sympathy with the revolt in the Balkans was therefore confined to nationalist enthusiasts in the towns of Russia.
- The present war in the Balkans furnishes a parallel of these conditions.