barrel organnoun [ C ]uk /ˈbær.əl ˌɔː.ɡən/ us /ˈbær.əl ˌɔːr.ɡən/
Examples from literature
- Another day a street musician regarded him curiously from behind a barrel organ which he was turning with the lifeless celerity of one without interest in the sounds created by the process.
- In the distance a barrel organ became more and more distinct and as I drew nearer and the noise grew louder, I wanted to dance and sing.
- On Thursday there is a handsome Italian with a barrel organ that bears in its belly the very latest and most popular tunes.
- The same thing year after year, and the same sounds—the dismal barrel organs, and brazen instruments, and pipes, wailing, droning, booming.
- The vision kept coming and coming, like the same tune played over and over on a barrel organ, and when he woke seemed to fill all the time he had slept.