bartendernoun [ C ]uk /ˈbɑːˌten.dər/ us /ˈbɑːrˌten.dɚ/ mainly US
Examples from literature
- Opposite the bartender, at a table against the wall, sat a young man, clad in cool gray.
- The bartender mixed the drinks in style, shooting the liquor from a height into the small gin-sling glasses with the dexterity that had made him famous.
- The youth, who was a bartender from a small saloon in the neighbourhood of the station, looked at him with contempt.
- They came back and had another drink at the bartender's invitation, after which they stepped to the table and watched the play for five minutes.
- When the glass was half full he hesitated and sought the face of the bartender again, for permission to go on.