baseballnoun [ C or U ]uk /ˈbeɪs.bɔːl/ us /ˈbeɪs.bɑːl/
A1 (the ball used in) a game played especially in North America by two teams of nine players, in which a player hits a ball with a bat (= stick) and tries to run around four bases on a large field before the other team returns the ball:
- College baseball teams across the country are getting ready for the new season.
- This 21-year-old is now perhaps the best player in baseball.
- Joe is passionate about baseball .
- He was a member of the varsity baseball team.
- Where is the bag with the baseball bats in it?