He only has a basic command of English (= he only knows the most important and simple words and expressions).
All the music they like is so basic.
basic pay, salary, wage, etc. UK US usually base pay, salary, wage, etc.
- They lack basic foodstuffs, such as bread and milk.
- The course gives you basic instruction in car maintenance.
- She's teaching me some basic dance steps.
- Twice a week the children are tested in basic mathematical skills such as addition and subtraction.
- The basic facts of the story are starting to emerge though the details are still unclear.