basilnoun [ U ]uk /ˈbæz.əl/ us /ˈbeɪ.zəl/
Examples from literature
- He used the national colors: red tomato, white cheese, and a green herb called basil.
- Basil. —Sweet basil an aromatic herb is classed among the sweet herbs.
- In the same family we have the sage and the sweet or common basil, also giving up their essential oils on distillation.
- Mix basil with chopped tomatoes.
- Parsley, mint and tarragon should be dried in June or July, thyme, marjoram and savory in July and August, basil and sage in August and September.
- Season with salt, pepper, parsley, green onions, bay leaf, thyme, garlic, cloves, and basil.