basisnoun [C]uk /ˈbeɪ.sɪs/ us /ˈbeɪ.sɪs/ (plural bases uk /-siːz/ us )
basis noun [C] (IMPORTANT FACTS)
- This information formed the basis of the report.
- Let's assume that they're coming and make plans on that basis.
- I suggest that we meet on a regular basis to discuss progress.
- Discrimination on the basis of race, gender, age or disability is not allowed.
- The initial negotiations are seen as laying the basis for more detailed talks.
- base sth on sth
- boil down to sth
- build around sth
- build on sth
- come down to sth
- live off sb/sth
- on the back of sth idiom
- on the strength of sth idiom
- put all your eggs in one basket idiom
- turn on sth
basis noun [C] (METHOD)