basketballnoun [ C or U ]uk /ˈbɑː.skɪt.bɔːl/ us /ˈbæs.kət.bɑːl/
- Do you play any other sports besides football and basketball?
- The men's basketball final will be on Sunday.
- The sports centre has a basketball court and two squash courts.
- People keep trying to persuade him to take up basketball because he's so tall and athletic.
- The sports shop stocks basketballs, nets, rings and various other basketball equipment.
Examples from literature
- Earl Boykins is a professional basketball player in the NBA – and he’s only 1.65 meters tall and weighs 60 kilograms.
- It gives balls – basketballs, tennis balls, even golf balls – their bounce.
- It tells the story of Conroy’s love for basketball.
- Other balls such as basketballs and soccer balls contain a rubber bladder – an airtight pocket – full of compressed air.
- Soccer, basketball, tennis, and other sports now attract more spectators.
- What are their chances of becoming professional athletes in one of these team sports: baseball, basketball, hockey, or American football?
- When we hear the word “sport,” we usually think of football, basketball, the Olympic Games, and things like that.