basketballnoun [ C or U ]uk /ˈbɑː.skɪt.bɔːl/ us /ˈbæs.kət.bɑːl/
- Do you play any other sports besides football and basketball?
- The men's basketball final will be on Sunday.
- The sports centre has a basketball court and two squash courts.
- People keep trying to persuade him to take up basketball because he's so tall and athletic.
- The sports shop stocks basketballs, nets, rings and various other basketball equipment.
Examples from literature
- Earl Boykins is a professional basketball player in the NBA – and he’s only 1.65 meters tall and weighs 60 kilograms.
- It gives balls – basketballs, tennis balls, even golf balls – their bounce.
- It tells the story of Conroy’s love for basketball.
- Other balls such as basketballs and soccer balls contain a rubber bladder – an airtight pocket – full of compressed air.
- Soccer, basketball, tennis, and other sports now attract more spectators.
- What are their chances of becoming professional athletes in one of these team sports: baseball, basketball, hockey, or American football?
- When we hear the word “sport,” we usually think of football, basketball, the Olympic Games, and things like that.
- A student in one of our Church schools was once heard to say, "My teacher teaches me more religion by the way he plays basketball than by the way he teaches theology."
- I am just as enthusiastic over basketball as ever, only I haven't had the time to devote to it that I did last year.
- I know it, replied Grace, "but after Thanksgiving we'll only meet once in two weeks, for I must get my basketball team in shape, and you see all the members belong to the society."
- There are two girls on the sophomore and three on the freshman team whose basketball ardor will have to cool until after the mid-year exams.