beverbuk strong /biː/ weak /bi/ weak /bɪ/ us strong /biː/ weak /bi/ weak /bɪ/ being, was, were, been
be verb (DESCRIPTION)
be verb (ALLOW)
- You are not to come downstairs until you have tidied up your room.
- Tell her she is not to open the door to any strangers.
- You are never to use rude language like that in my house, do you understand?
- I've made it clear to the visitors that they are not to touch any of the machinery.
- The school rules state that no child is to leave the school premises during the day, unless accompanied by an adult.
be verb (FUTURE)
- The four soldiers are to receive citations from the president for their brave actions.
- The three largest banks are to raise their interest rates.
- The government is to spend millions of dollars on combating drug abuse.
- If the company were to offer him more money, he might not leave.
- After they've finishing painting the hall, they are to start on the living room.
be verb (CAN)
be verb (EXIST)
beauxiliary verbuk strong /biː/ /bi/ /bɪ/ us /biː/ /bi/ /bɪ/ being, was, were, been
be auxiliary verb (CONTINUE)
- Long hair on men seems to be coming back into fashion.
- I am embroidering this picture for my mother.
- The police are carrying out spot checks on drivers over the Christmas period to test for alcohol levels.
- Police are still looking for clues in their search for the missing girl.
- The two athletes are competing for the gold medal.
be auxiliary verb (PASSIVE)