beginverb [ I or T ]uk /bɪˈɡɪn/ us /bɪˈɡɪn/ present participle beginning, past tense began, past participle begun
begin verb [ I or T ] (START TO HAPPEN)
- The plane began to make its final descent into the airport.
- Stir the sauce gently until it begins to boil.
begin verb [ I or T ] (START TO DO)
A2 to start to do something:
If you want to learn to play a musical instrument, it might be a good idea to begin on something simple.
- The audience was becoming restless as they waited for the performance to begin.
- You will begin to feel sleepy as the drug enters your bloodstream.
- She cleared her throat nervously before she began to speak.