bellenoun [ C ]uk /bel/ us /bel/ old-fashioned
Examples from literature
- About these young belles gathered the densest throng of all the crowd.
- No belle ever kept her clothes in better order than these were.
- Philippa was, as heretofore, the belle, looking more than usually lovely in a light gossamer dress of white and pink.
- The fashionable belles and beauties were not even aware of her existence, being too entirely absorbed in their yearly husband-hunt to think of any one but themselves and their prey.
- You'll be the belle of the ball, Virginia.