below adverb, preposition (POSITION)
- We looked out of the aircraft window down onto the patchwork of fields below.
- The sun glowed red as it sank slowly below the horizon.
- The temperature is expected to drop to ten degrees below zero tonight.
- The results are well below what we expected.
- Please print your name clearly below your signature.
below adverb, preposition (LESS)
Below meaning ‘lower than’We use below most commonly as a preposition meaning ‘lower than’. It has a similar meaning to under. The opposite of below is above. We use it when there is no contact between people or things: …
Below referring forward in writingIn formal writing, we use below to refer to something that we will mention or show later: …