benefit noun (ADVANTAGE)
With the benefit of hindsight (= helped by the knowledge learned later) it is easy for us to see where we went wrong.
- "He says he's doing it for our benefit." "Hmm, I'm still not convinced."
- Little benefit will accrue to London from the new road scheme.
- With the benefit of hindsight, I should have taken the job.
- Women's rights groups have cried out against the proposed cut in benefit paid to single mothers.
- She studied every evening and reaped the benefit at exam time.
benefit noun (MONEY FROM GOVERNMENT)
I'm on benefit at the moment.