benzenenoun [ U ]uk /ˈben.ziːn/ us /ˈben.ziːn/
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
Examples from literature
- Benzene, a substance compounded of carbon and hydrogen, obtained by destructive distillation from coal-tar and other organic bodies, used as a substitute for turpentine and for dissolving grease.
- If you are after the greatest yield of tar products, you impoverish the gas by taking out the benzene and get a blue instead of a bright yellow flame.
- It is very soluble in water, easily soluble in boiling alcohol, much less in cold alcohol, and insoluble in ether, chloroform and benzene.
- Remove paint stains with benzene or turpentine, machine oil with cold water and Ivory soap, vaseline with turpentine.
- Six atoms of carbon and six of hydrogen put together in a certain way make benzene.