billet-douxnoun [ C ]uk /ˌbɪl.eɪˈduː/ us /ˌbɪl.eɪˈduː/ plural billets-doux uk /ˌbɪl.eɪˈduː/ us literary
Examples from literature
- He now felt not disinclined to take up the neglected billet-doux. He broke the seal and read.
- I sent her three or four billets-doux every day, and received as many.
- Nothing but billets-doux were found in his writing-case.
- The sexton who emptied it of its contents found in it more than fifty sequins, and several billets-doux, to the great scandal of the weaker brethren.
- This billet-doux was sealed and despatched, and in due time brought an acceptance.