bird of paradisenoun [ C ]uk /ˌbɜːd əv ˈpær.ə.daɪs/ us /ˌbɝːd əv ˈper.ə.daɪs/
Examples from literature
- Bird-lovers must now bid farewell forever to all the birds of paradise.
- But if my desires were fulfilled by the capture of this bird of paradise, those of our Canadian huntsman remained unsatisfied.
- From what you say I should have inferred that birds of paradise were probably polygamous.
- The water rustled and roiled as if all the birds of paradise that the world contained had taken flight.
- Who had named those birds the birds of paradise?