birdnoun [ C ]uk /bɜːd/ us /bɝːd/
bird noun [ C ] (CREATURE)
- The poor bird couldn't fly because it had a broken wing.
- In September, these birds migrate 2,000 miles south to a warmer climate.
- We were woken early by the sound of the birds singing.
- The noise of the car startled the birds and the whole flock flew up into the air.
- Cuckoos are famous for laying their eggs in the nests of other birds.
bird noun [ C ] (PERSON)
› UK slang a young woman:
Is that Lee's new bird?
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words