birth ratenoun [ C usually singular ]uk /ˈbɜːθ ˌreɪt/ us /ˈbɝːθ ˌreɪt/
Examples from literature
- As Japan enters the 21st century, the main problem its economy faces is a shortage of workers, a result of an aging population and a falling birth rate.
- Few countries have such an enormous birth rate and death rate.
- The birth rate is the lowest in Europe.
- The birth rate shows a proportional decline.
- The birth rate was above the local average.
- There had been a falling off in the birth rate.