blackboardnoun [ C ]uk /ˈblæk.bɔːd/ us /-bɔːrd/ US also chalkboard
- Alice rubbed the blackboard clean for the teacher.
- She rubbed the sums off the blackboard for the teacher.
- I hate the scrape of chalk on a blackboard.
- The lecturer illustrated his point with a diagram on the blackboard.
- My daughter has a blackboard in her bedroom.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics:
Examples from literature
- If the shape of a room is shown on the blackboard, what have we drawn?
- Make a scoreboard on the blackboard, indicating each row by a number of letter.
- The teacher would write six easy characters each afternoon on the blackboard for the girls to copy before going home.
- The writing at first may be entirely at the blackboard, where the teacher's copy may be reproduced.
- To the left of the blackboard was the corner in which we had to kneel when naughty.