blank versenoun [ U ]uk /ˌblæŋk ˈvɜːs/ us /ˌblæŋk ˈvɝːs/
Examples from literature
- Each of these four scenes is in dialogue, the first three in blank verse, the last in prose.
- His views upon blank verse were shared by Johnson and Gray.
- Spanish blank verse is not unknown, but has never been cultivated with great success.
- The poem is full of colour, but the blank verse is somewhat heavy in movement.
- Three kinds of blank verse are known in English literature,—lyric, narrative, and dramatic.