block and tacklenoun [ U ]uk /ˌblɒk ən ˈtæk.əl/ us /ˌblɑːk ən ˈtæk.əl/
Examples from literature
- A combination of pulleys called block and tackle is used where very heavy loads are to be moved.
- The larger projectiles had to be whipped up to the muzzle with block and tackle.
- The schooner got well to windward of the place where the set was to be made, and the first dory was lowered by a block and tackle.
- They pulled the man up with block and tackle.
- Using block and tackle in hoisting was a great help.