bluebottlenoun [ C ]uk /ˈbluːˌbɒt.əl/ us /ˈbluːˌbɑː.t̬əl/
Examples from literature
- Great swarms of bluebottle flies buzzed lazily in the warm sunshine.
- The bluebottles buzzed about the wall, and a little old mouse picked over the rubbish among the jam pots.
- The office was very still, except for two bluebottle flies butting against the ceiling and buzzing up and down the window-panes.
- There was one big bluebottle that had got stuck there on his back with his wings in the sticky stuff.
- This fly is very like our British bluebottle, with a somewhat greener head, and a body entirely yellow.