board and lodgingnoun [ U ]uk /ˌbɔːd ən ˈlɒdʒ.ɪŋ/ us /ˌbɔːrd ən ˈlɑː.dʒɪŋ/ UK UK also bed and board, US room and board
Examples from literature
- Board and lodging and thirty pounds a year.
- Couriers do not have to pay any board and lodging.
- My salary was fifty pounds per annum, with board and lodging.
- The wage is small but board and lodging, such as the latter is, are furnished.
- They are paid every Saturday, like regular laborers, and out of the money they earn, they pay for their board and lodging through the week.