boathooknoun [ C ]uk /ˈbəʊt.hʊk/ us /ˈboʊt.hʊk/
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics:
Examples from literature
- He reached forward with the boathook, which he took from Jack's hand, and jabbed at the creature, which did not appear to mind the presence of the boys at all, but continued his nosing of the boat.
- He took a boathook, and planted its point on the beach, in readiness to shove off.
- Instantly the coxswain caught up his boathook and waved his flag.
- They pushed and pushed and pushed again, but the only noticeable effect was the bending of the slender pole of the boathook on which Grace and Amy were shoving with all their strength.
- This man, having laid aside his oars, now stood, boathook in hand, awaiting the inevitable crash.