bollnoun [ C ]uk /bəʊl/ us /boʊl/
Examples from literature
- As the blossoms die they are replaced by the young bolls, or pods, which contain the seeds.
- At first cotton-picking was interesting, the fluffy bolls looking like artificial roses and the stray blossoms strangely shaped and delicately pink.
- In the autumn you see the pod or boll which contains the cotton.
- The bolls are placed on racks, and are sun-dried, after which the husks are removed by hand.
- The top of the cotton stalk glimmered with a purple bloom, but down between the rows, among the dying leaves, the first bolls were opening.