bookwormnoun [ C ]uk /ˈbʊk.wɜːm/ us /ˈbʊk.wɝːm/ informal
Examples from literature
- He was not a bookworm, but he was a close student and possessed the happy faculty of assimilating knowledge from books and tutors far more easily and quickly than most of his fellows.
- I'm a sort of bookworm myself.
- Neither Leo nor I were bookworms, and we were not by any means so devoted as some boys to games and athletics.
- The librarian of former times was almost invariably a bookworm, and was often a student properly so called.
- Well, long ago I was a little bookworm, living in a lonely country house, and I had the run of some good shelves.