borrow verb (RECEIVE)
UK non-standard Can I borrow £100 off you until next week?
- Can I borrow a couple of bucks?
- Do you have a Birmingham to London train timetable that I could borrow?
- You have to sign books out when you borrow them from the library.
- He's a bit possessive about his CDs - I wouldn't dare ask to borrow them.
- Just because I'm lending you my dress for tonight doesn't mean you can borrow it whenever you want to.
noun [ C ] uk /ˈbɒr.əʊ.ər/ us /ˈbɑːr.oʊ.ɚ/
noun [ C or U ] uk /ˈbɒr.əʊ.ɪŋ/ us /ˈbɑːr.oʊ.ɪŋ/