botanistnoun [ C ]uk /ˈbɒt.ən.ɪst/ us /ˈbɑː.t̬ən.ɪst/
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
Examples from literature
- All botanists admit that the abundance of ferns implies a moist atmosphere.
- It is maintained by some botanists that these other pigments enable their possessors to make more of the scantier light in the deeper waters.
- It is this strange mingling of plants from the far south, from the far north, and from the mountains, which renders the West of Ireland so fascinating a field for the botanist.
- The Professor was quite a noted botanist.
- The luxuriant and varied vegetation in the ravine affords a fine field for the botanist.
- These careful studies are as valuable for the botanist as for the artist.