bougainvilleanoun [ C or U ]uk /ˌbuː.ɡənˈvɪl.i.ə/ us /ˌbuː.ɡənˈvɪl.i.ə/
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics:
Examples from literature
- I saw all the fruits of the islands in matchless profusion, intermingled with magnificent ferns, the dazzling bougainvillea, the brilliant flamboyant-tree, and a thousand creepers and plants.
- Sometimes a little wreath of ascending smoke, curling above the purple petals of bougainvilleas, or the red cloud of oleanders, told her of his presence, in some retired thinking-place.
- The tall houses of the city gave place to villas draped in bougainvillea behind gardens of trees.
- The wealth of the bougainvillea's masses of lustrous magenta was matched by the dazzling flamboyant, trees forty feet high, and their foliage a hundred in circumference, a sheen of crimson.
- Yellow marigolds may follow, then another ring of red roses, then lilac bougainvillea, then something blue, after which you may have a circle of white jasmine, and so on.