boxcarnoun [ C ]uk /ˈbɒks.kɑːr/ us /ˈbɑːks.kɑːr/ US
Examples from literature
- Bunny and Sue crossed the street and walked along the string of boxcars, looking into those the doors of which were open.
- Is that freight? asked Sue, pointing to some broken boxes on the ground near a boxcar, the door of which stood open.
- Now he hurried to pass down the train to a boxcar with an open door.
- One day all of us who were able to walk were made to fall in and march over to the railroad, where we were loaded into boxcars.
- Rip had never seen an old-type railroad, or he might have likened the landing boat to a railroad boxcar.