— phrasal verb with break uk /breɪk/ us /breɪk/ verb broke, broken
War broke out in 1914.
break out in a rash, sweat, etc.
- I break out in a cold sweat just thinking about public speaking.
- There's a sense of foreboding in the capital, as if fighting might at any minute break out.
- The ambassador was recalled when war broke out.
- Fighting broke out in the stands five minutes before the end of the match.
- An argument broke out and in the ensuing fight, a gun went off.
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words