breakthroughnoun [C]uk us /ˈbreɪk.θruː/
- This drug has been heralded as a major breakthrough in the fight against breast cancer.
- They had minor breakthroughs but real success eluded them.
- Biological research has often been a precursor to medical breakthroughs which benefit patients.
- The leaders emphasized that a substantial breakthrough had been achieved, but there was more work to be done.
- Researchers reported another important breakthrough in cancer research.
- a fishing expedition idiom
- break fresh/new ground idiom
- catch sb red-handed idiom
- catch sb with their pants/trousers down idiom
- happen on/upon sth/sb
- have a (good) nose for sth idiom
- have got something there idiom
- run sb/sth to ground idiom
- search sth/sb out
- sniff sth out
- sniff sth/sb out