breedverbuk us /briːd/ (bred, bred)
breed verb (REPRODUCE)
- While the animals are still immature, they do not breed.
- The map on the opposite page shows where these birds commonly breed.
- She breeds pedigree Burmese cats.
- Animals bred in captivity would probably not survive if they were released into the wild.
- At this time of year the birds return to the island to breed.
breed verb (CAUSE)
breednoun [C]uk us /briːd/
- The centre works to protect and preserve rare breeds of European sheep.
- There is now a huge variety of dog breeds.
- We have several breeds of deer in the park, not just one.
- The Gloucester Old Spot is the oldest breed of pedigree spotted pig in the world.
- Burmese, Oriental and Tonkinese are my favourite breeds of cat.
You can also find related words, phrases, and synonyms in the topics: