Brussels sproutnoun [ C ]uk /ˌbrʌs.əlz ˈspraʊt/ us /ˌbrʌs.əlz ˈspraʊt/ UK also sprout
Examples from literature
- After the sole you will have a leg of mutton and then some Brussels sprouts.
- All cooked green vegetables such as spinach, asparagus, string beans, fresh green peas, Brussels sprouts, dandelion leaves, greens, cabbages, mushrooms and other foods of this sort will likewise be helpful.
- The "greens," leafy vegetables like spinach, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, asparagus, and lettuce, are the ones that help most in these last ways—"protective foods," they have been called.
- There were Brussels sprouts, and sometimes she found in a cellar carrots or cabbages.
- This makes a mild, pleasantly pungent sauce, to enliven the cabbage family—hot cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage and Brussels sprouts.