bull terriernoun [ C ]uk /ˌbʊl ˈter.i.ər/ us /ˌbʊl ˈter.i.ɚ/
Examples from literature
- Both were obviously amateurs at sheep-driving, and the smart, intelligent bull terrier was as much an amateur as either of them, for shepherd, shepherdess and dog were only doing what a good collie would achieve alone and unaided.
- He was gone five minutes and returned with a scrawny bull terrier scrambling at his heels.
- I had a very fine bull terrier which slept in the porch at night, the night-watchman also sleeping there.
- The man stooped and patted the bull terrier, which had not evinced the slightest emotion at his entrance.
- The two old standard breeds of world-wide reputation, the English bulldog and the bull terrier, had to be joined to make a third which we believe to be the peer of either, and the superior of both.