burglar alarmnoun [ C ]uk /ˈbɜː.ɡlər əˌlɑːm/ us /ˈbɝː.ɡlɚ əˌlɑːrm/
Thesaurus: synonyms and related words
- (I) told you (so)! idiom
- (just) you wait idiom
- cautionary tale
- do you want to make something/anything of it? idiom
- early warning system
- emergency cord
- fire a (warning) shot across sb's bow idiom
- ring/sound alarm bells idiom
- tip sb off
- wake-up call
- warning/alarm bells start to ring/sound idiom
Examples from literature
- An electric fire detector in the cellar acts much like a burglar alarm.
- He had heard it said by burglars of wide experience and unquestioned wisdom that babies were the most dangerous of all burglar alarms.
- His windows were provided with ingenious burglar alarms, his rooms with fire alarms, and he ignited his gas always by electricity.
- I'll have a burglar alarm put in at once and a telephone, too.
- They got any o' them fancy burglar alarms? asked The Hopper as he concluded his examination of her sketches.