butconjunctionuk strong /bʌt/ weak /bət/ us strong /bʌt/ weak /bət/
- We ran after him, but he escaped.
- It's a nice dress, but it creases very easily.
- He looked disappointed at their decision, but didn't argue.
- Everyone in the office complains that he smells awful, but nobody dares mention it to him.
- I haven't got any grapefruit juice, but I've got some orange juice. Will that do?
butpreposition, conjunctionuk strong /bʌt/ /bət/ us /bʌt/ /bət/
butadverbuk strong /bʌt/ /bət/ us /bʌt/ /bət/
but adverb (FOR EMPHASIS)
but adverb (ONLY)