buttenoun [ C ]/bjuːt/ us /bjuːt/
Examples from literature
- The farm lay on either side of a small stream which ran among the buttes and green mesas of the foothills.
- Then slowly and sadly the train resumed its march and mounted to the summit of the butte.
- These setbacks made them late in their arrival at the scene of coming toil, but gradually the distant buttes grew plainer as they moved on steadily toward them over the crunching sands, so hot and barren.
- We left the rugged butte region behind us, and entered a tract of country quite unlike anything we had found before.
- We made a nice run of eighteen miles on a smooth, shallow river, with broken, picturesque low cliffs and isolated buttes everywhere.