caliphnoun [ C ]uk /ˈkeɪ.lɪf/ us /ˈkeɪ.lɪf/
Examples from literature
- Beneath one of these domes the caliph was entertained with excellent sherbet, with sweetbreads stewed in milk of almonds, and other delicacies of which he was amazingly fond.
- These, possibly the remnants of a quay, were all that remained of the times before the advent of the caliphs.
- This same caliph again gathered together a host and fell upon our people.
- We can easily conceive the alarm of the caliph.
- When the caliph arrived near the town he waited three days and they gave him food and barley.