candlesticknoun [ C ]uk /ˈkæn.dəl.stɪk/ us /ˈkæn.dəl.stɪk/
Examples from literature
- Candles beyond number were held in branches of candlesticks.
- On high pedestals at head and foot of her magnificent couch the pale flames rose from tarnished golden candlesticks.
- On it stood a round wooden clock and a pair of wooden candlesticks.
- She shielded it carefully with her hand from the door draught, and succeeded in lighting a candle in one of a pair of brass candlesticks which stood on the shelf.
- Shortly after nine o'clock the innkeeper entered the room with a candlestick, which he placed on the table.